2014 BC SUP CUP SERIES
Format and Information
- June 22 – Victoria – Island SUP Series
- July 5,6 – Kootenays – Castlegar
- August 16 (Saturday) – Vancouver, Jericho Beach – Vancouver SUP Challenge
- FINAL – September 14 (Sunday) – Deep Cove, North Vancouver BC – Board the Fjord
SUP BC: www.supbc.org
Mission Statment To foster the growth of Stand Up Paddleboard racing in British Columbia through fun, organized and all inclusive events throughout the province. About Us: SUP BC was formed by a group of representatives from various aspects of the SUP Community. Within the society we have representation from Elite Athletes, Retailers, Distributors, Reps, Race Organizers and Recreational Racers. We also are open to feedback, ideas and suggestions from anyone within the SUP Community.
The SUP BC Society is made up of:
- Mike Darbyshire
- Kevin O’Brien
- Gary Parsons
- Nikki Rekman
- Stuart Robinson
- Lina Augaitis
Additional feedback and consultation with:
- Catherine Salinas
- Taylor Fulde
- Norm Hann
- Jason Lexa
By supporting a selection of events within the province we hope to provide a level of consistency and organization at each of the events.
The events are chosen each season based on a variety of criteria including but not limited to:
- Location distribution throughout the province
- Historical success of previous events
- Sport growth in new areas of the province
- Dedicated race organizers
- Unique locations that represent the variety within BC
Format for Scoring:
- Top two scores from any two of the four qualifiers + the final
- 2 qualifying races are required to encourage racers to travel outside of the Lower Mainland for at least 1 event.
- At events that include multiple races over a day or weekend we will use a combined score system to determine your points within the BC SUP Cup.
- Ex: 2nd place on the Saturday short course, plus 3rd place on the Sunday long course would equal 650 points. After points are combined you would be given your final placement based on the combined scores of other racers.
- Tied scores may occur at multi-day events and the final outcome will be determined at the final event of the season
- At multi-day events racers will be required to use the same size board for both events in order to qualify for the series
- Must race the Final to qualify for year-end rankings and awards
- Final race is single points
Racing Classes: (Year end titles)
- Racers will seed themselves in the appropriate category.
- Race organizers have the final say and may ask a racer to go into a different division if the racer makes an inappropriate or unfair choice.
- Elite – Top athletes, sponsored athletes, consistent top 10 finishers
- Open: 19-49 – All other racers, competitive and recreational
- 14′ Men
- 14′ Women
- 12’6 Men
- 12’6 Women
- 12 & Under Surfboard Women
- 12 & Under Surfboard Men
- Masters: 50+ – 14′ or less – Racers 50 or older, racers may choose to not enter masters even if they are over 50
- Junior (15-18) -12’6″ or less
- Youth (12-14) – 12’6″ or less
- Kids (7-11) – 10’6″ or less
- If a racer wins the series in a lower division they may be required to move up to the higher division next season.
- As the series and racing grows we may look towards splitting into 3 divisions:
- Elite – Top athletes, sponsored, consistently in the top 10 at larger events
- Amateur – Competitive regular racers, weekend warriors, fun competition
- Rec/Novice – First time racers, non-regular racers, fun and informal competition
Points Ranking System: (adopt WPA Open points system)
- 1st = 500
- 2nd= 375
- 3rd= 275
- 4th= 200
- 5th= 160
- 6th= 125
- 7th= 100
- 8th= 80
- 9th= 65
- 10th= 50
- 11th= 49, 12th= 48, 13th= 47, 14th= 46 and so on with one less point for each place to 40th with each place after receiving a minimum of 5 points.
Fees: Various by event Awards:
- 1st Overall in each Class: BC SUP CUP Championship award
- Recognition for 2nd and 3rd place in each Class
- To receive year-end ranking and title – Must be a minimum of (3) athletes per class
- Trophies will be made for each class, winners get their names on the trophies and get to keep the trophy for one year