Home Forums General SUP Discussion Best expedition board for a 2000 more km paddle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Simon

hey there,

Just looking for advices and experiences on a sup purchase for a 2000 and more km expedition starting in quebec. Mostly going to paddle on lakes. I am about 220 lbs, 6’2 intermediate to advance paddler. No hotels, no restaurants. Will be eating and resting in a tent so most of my gear will be on board with me all the time. Made my research; taho, surftech, naish and riviera seem to be popular choices. Was looking for the Bote rackham or ahab also for their gear capacity that can get up to 375-400 lbs. also; some advice on expeditions longer than 2 weeks concerning food and gear would be more then welcome!! thank in advance!! Simsup87 😉

Paddle Surf
    Keymaster

Not meaning to be Starboard biased but I know the boards really well… Their 14’x30 Elite Touring would be a great choice. And considering your size, one of the wider models of the 2016 All Star would work too!

Lockhart

I will put in my .02. Simon, you are on the right track with the Bote boards for carrying capacity. I think you are going to need a board that can support 300 pounds+ and still be stable in mixed conditions. Many boards can hold a lot of weight, but won’t handle well with a load when you are in rough water. Keep looking into boards rated for carrying a large load that are designed for larger paddlers and expedition paddling in mind.

I don’t think the Starboard Elite touring has nearly enough volume for a 220 pounder with a big load of gear. The new 14 X 30 Starboard Expedition has well over 300 litres of volume with multiple tie down points and a storage compartment. Also research boards like the 14 X 30 Great Bear by Boardworks, 14 X 31 Tahoe Tallac, Lakeshore Paddleboard Company 14 x 31 River Rover, Amundson TRT 14 X 29.5/30, and the Naish Glide 14 X 30. All of the boards I listed have attachment points front and back except for the Naish Glide, but you can buy aftermarket attachments easy enough. If you are still considering a 12’6″, then the Jimmy Lewis searcher 12’6″ x 33.5 and 350 litres is a possibility.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.