British Columbia, Canada – (March 21, 2012) – The athletes have spoken! BC is getting competitive on the Standup Paddleboard stage and proud to announce the formation of the first BC SUP CUP Championship Racing Series.
This summer, both competitive and recreational paddlers will get a chance to compete in a formal series that stops at several well-established race events across the province – Four unique events that capture the full essence of Standup Paddleboard racing in Beautiful British Columbia, complete with year-end awards and titles.
It’s a step in the right direction allowing BC to be at the forefront in developing the competitive level of SUP racing and the series welcomes all levels of paddlers who can choose to compete in the Competitive or Recreational classes – A great chance to experience the thrill of racing on BC’s waterways in a variety of conditions including flatwater ocean, lakes and surf-race. Introducing the 2012 BC SUP CUP:
- #1 – May 20, Deep Cove – (Tour de Indian Arm) ‘Season Opener’
- #2 – June 23-24 – Kalamalka Beach, Vernon (Kalamalka Classic SUP Festival) ‘The Classic’
- June 23 – Short Course – 12’6, Junior, Surfboard
- June 24 – Long Course – 14’
- #3 – July 15, Mackenzie Beach, Tofino – (Surf SUP Island Series #2) ‘Surf Race’
- Final – August 26, Jericho Beach, Vancouver – (Vancouver SUP Challenge) ‘Grand Finale’
To make the series accessible to as many athletes as possible, your top score for any one of the three BC SUP CUP races plus the BC SUP CUP Finale’ will be combined for year-end scores and awards. To qualify for a year-end ranking and award, athletes must attend and compete in the final race. BC SUP CUP titles will awarded at the final race along with other awards and sponsor prizes.
Racing Classes: (Year end titles) *
- 14’ Men
- 14’ Women
- 12’6” Women
- 12’6” Men
- Junior Men (18 & Under)
- Junior Women (18 & Under)
- 12’2” & Under Surfboard Women
- 12’2” & Under Surfboard Men
* (Additional formats, qualifications and rules to be announced)
An exciting season SUP Racing is less than two months away so it’s time to start getting ready! The series welcomes sponsors and partners as we continue to build up the premier Provincial racing series in Western Canada.
About the Organizers
The 2012 BC SUP CUP Series is a collaborative effort between Gary Parsons, Kevin O’Brien, Mike Darbyshire and Stuart Robinson – The respective race organizers from the various events. With their diverse backgrounds in Standup Paddlesurf and other water and land based sports, the group has joined forces to bring the series to life and help further develop Canadian athletes. The group will next launch a basic website to keep everyone informed, educated and excited. See you on the water!