NOTE: for an up to date retailer listings, check out the 2010 edition of Stand Up Paddle Board Retailers
As quickly as the sport is growing, board and gear supply seems to be pretty minimal at the moment. So with that, here's a quick rundown of where we've been able to find boards available for sale and rent:
- Island Longboards: Though not situated in the Lower Mainland, Island Longboards near Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island has the best selection of boards anywhere in Canada. They're fully stocked with boards by Infinity, Hobie, Starboard, Oxbow, and NSP, plus have a diverse selection of paddles by Kialoa, Starboard, Werner and Bic paddles, along with everything else you need to get in the water.They also have a complete fleet of rentals, and offer Discover Stand Up Paddleboarding lessons and tours.
- Second Wave Surf Shop: Situated in North Vancouver, they had two NSP 11'0 boards on display a couple months ago, no word on whether or not they still have them or have restocked.
- Deep Cove Kayak: They have a few boards available for rent at their shoreside rental location, and from the looks of it they've also got a couple Starboards available for sale at their retail location up the street.
- North Shore Ski and Board: Word has it they're getting a few Bic Jungle boards in stock.
- Pacific Boarder: Haven't been there lately but supposedly their West 4th location stocks a number of Surftech models.
A note about online retailers: there are a ton of pretty good deals to be found on SUP's around the web, but it's especially important to note that exchange rate, duties, and shipping especially come into play when dealing with very large and fairly fragile sports equipment. Personally, for now at least, I'd forego the uncertainty and deal with your local surf shop.